1 accept as true; take to be true; "I believed his report"; "We didn't believe his stories from the War"; "She believes in spirits" [ant: disbelieve]
2 judge or regard; look upon; judge; "I think he is very smart"; "I believe her to be very smart"; "I think that he is her boyfriend"; "The racist conceives such people to be inferior" [syn: think, consider, conceive]
3 be confident about something; "I believe that he will come back from the war" [syn: trust]
4 follow a credo; have a faith; be a believer; "When you hear his sermons, you will be able to believe, too"
5 credit with veracity; "You cannot believe this man"; "Should we believe a publication like the National Inquirer?"
EtymologyFrom be-/ge- + a short form of gelyfan, (leafa).
- To accept that someone is telling the truth.
- Why did I ever believe you?
- To accept as true.
- If you believe the numbers, you'll agree we need change.
- To consider likely.
- I believe it might rain tomorrow.
- To have religious faith; to believe in a
- After that night in the church, I believed.
- The transitive verb believe and the phrasal verb believe in are
similar but can have very different implications.
- To “believe” someone or something means to accept specific pieces of information as truth: believe the news, believe the lead witness. To “believe a complete stranger” means to accept a stranger's story with little evidence.
- To “believe in” someone or something means to place faith in that person or concept: believe in liberty, believe in God. To “believe in one's fellow man” means to place faith in mankind.
- Meanings sometimes overlap. To believe in a religious text would also require affirming at least the major principles. To believe a religious text would likewise imply placing one's faith in it.
to accept that someone is telling the truth (object: person)
to accept as true
to consider likely
to have religious faith; to believe in a greater truth
- Dutch: geloven in
- German: glauben
- Irish: creid
- Croatian: vjerovati
- Chinese: 相信 (xiāngxìn)
- Estonian: uskuma
- Finnish: uskoa, arvella
- Greek: θεωρήσει
- Ido: kredar
- Indonesian: percaya
- Italian: credere
- Japanese: 信じる (しんじる, shinjiru)
- Khmer: (jeuə)
- Norwegian: tro
- Polish: wierzyć, sądzić
- Portuguese: acreditar em (1); acreditar, crêr (2); acreditar em (3)
- Romanian: crede
- Russian: верить (verit’)
- Slovene: verovati
- Spanish: creer
Believe, or related terms, may refer to:
- Belief, a conviction or certainty, often regarding God or a supreme being
Film and television
- Believe (film), a 2007 film directed by Loki Mulholland
- The Believer (film), a 2001 film starring Ryan Gosling
- Believers (film), a 2007 horror film
- The Believers, a 1987 film directed by John Schlesinger
- "Believers" (Babylon 5), an episode of Babylon 5
- Believe (2000 film), a short starring James Roday
- Believe (Cher album)
- Believe (Yolanda Adams album)
- Believe (Crematory album)
- Believe (Disturbed album)
- Believe (Harem Scarem album), Japanese title of the album Karma Cleansing
- Believe (Jets album)
- Believe (Th' Legendary Shack Shakers album)
- Believe (Savatage album)
- Believe, an EP by Indecision
- Believe, by Big Dismal
- Believe, by Ross Copperman
- Believe, by Natalie Grant
- Believe, by George Nozuka
- Believer (Laura Dawn album)
- The Believer (Rhett Miller album)
- The Believer (John Coltrane album)
- The Believer (Common album)
- Believers (album), by Don McLean
- "Believe" (Dima Bilan song), the Russian entry and winning song in the Eurovision Song Contest 2008
- "Believe" (The Bravery song)
- "Believe" (Chemical Brothers song)
- "Believe" (Cher song)
- "Believe" (Eddie J. song)
- "Believe" (Misia single)
- "Believe" (Nami Tamaki song)
- "Believe" (Yellowcard song)
- "Believe" (The Polar Express song)
- "Belief" (John Mayer song)
- "Believe" (Carola song), a song by Carola Häggkvist
- "Believe" (Elton John song), from Made in England
- "Believe", by Breaking Benjamin from We Are Not Alone
- "Believe", by Brooks & Dunn from Hillbilly Deluxe
- "Believe", by Flickerstick from Causing a Catastrophe
- "Believe", by Lenny Kravitz from Are You Gonna Go My Way
- "Believe", by Savatage from Streets: A Rock Opera
- "Believe", by The Smashing Pumpkins included on Judas 0
- "Believe", by Ian Van Dahl from Lost & Found
- "Believer", by Ozzy Osbourne from Diary of a Madman
- Believer (band), a Christian thrash metal band
believe in Estonian: Believe
believe in Spanish: Believe
believe in Italian: Believe
believe in Polish: Believe
believe in Portuguese: Believe
believe in Russian: Believe
believe in Turkish: Believe
accept, accept for gospel, accept implicitly, accredit, admit, allow, assume, be afraid, be certain, be pious, be religious, believe in, believe without reservation, buy, conceive, conclude, confide in, conjecture, consider, credit, daresay, deduce, deem, divine, dream, expect, fancy, fear God, feel, gather, give faith to, grant, have confidence in, have faith, have faith in, hold, hope in, imagine, infer, keep the faith, let, let be, love God, maintain, make believe, opine, place confidence in, place reliance in, prefigure, presume, presuppose, presurmise, pretend, provisionally accept, put faith in, put trust in, receive, reckon, rely on, rely upon, repose confidence in, repose in, repute, rest in, say, sense, set store by, suppose, surmise, suspect, swallow, swear by, take, take for, take for granted, take it, take on faith, take on trust, take stock in, take to be, think, trust, trust in, trust in God, trust to, understand